Many, if not all, Facebook users find the new Facebook chat bar to be annoying and irritating at times. Scratch that. They find the new Facebook chat very annoying. Not only do you need to manually disable the new Facebook chat sidebar each and every time you log-in, it also only displays the people you heavily chat with even if they're offline. Worst, you have a chaotic list of friends who are offline and online. Yes, you would have to sift through all those friends just to see if someone you've been wanting to talk to is online. Compare that to the old Facebook chat, very counter-productive.
With all those said, Facebook users are asking—demanding even—that Facebook get back and restore the old Facebook chat box. What you can do as a raging Facebook user is join, what else, fan pages. Enough fan pages will probably make Mark Zuckerberg's head turn and take notice. Google+ after all is just around the corner.
Onto the point: Just how do you get back and restore the old Facebook chat? We have multiple ways to do that, no problem. Alright then, head on below:
How to Get Back and Restore Old Facebook Chat
Method 1 - Restore old Facebook chat through manual revert
1) Login to your Facebook account;
2) Open a new tab on your browser;
3) Go to this link: http://www.facebook.com/presence/popout.php;
4) Voila! You have the old Facebook chat complete with friends being sorted out!
The only disadvantage of this method is the way you have to open the old Facebook chat in a new tab everytime you log-in your Facebook account, which is quite tiring and repetitive.
Method 2 - Get back old Facebook chat via Greasemonkey and a script
1) For Firefox users, install a plug-in called Greasemonkey first: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/. For Google Chrome users, proceed to step 2.
Fact: Searching for Greece Monkey in Google will bring up results for Greasemonkey, which is not too ironic considering there are no monkeys in Greece;
2) Download and install this script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/107159. For the record, it's totally safe. No malware, no frills, no nothing. It would just tweak your Facebook to restore to the old Facebook chat. So when alerts pop-up in your browser, just click on Continue;
3) Restart your internet browser by closing it then opening it again or just simply refresh your Facebook window. That ought to get back and restore the old Facebook chat.
This method would only work on a computer where it's installed. So don't be surprised to see the new Facebook chat box when you're on a computer rental shop. Then agian, you can always install these scripts even in a rental computer to get back and restore the old Facebook chat.
Method 3 - Hiding the new Facebook chat box via Greasemonkey
There's also a method of hiding the irritating new Facebook chat via Greasemonkey again. More on this below:
1) For Firefox users, install a plug-in called Greasemonkey first: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/. For Google Chrome users, proceed to step3;
2) Restart your Firefox browser;
3) Install this script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/106579. Just like the code above, this script is totally safe. After installation, just refresh your browser and you'll see the Hide button on your Facebook window.
That's it! Now you know all the ways on how to get back and restore the old Facebook chat. Just go on your way and implement it now, or some other time when the new Facebook chat gets in your veins.
Don't forget to share or like this post if it helped you. Nice eh?
'Till my next installment.