As you know by now, pod2g is the one responsible for developing the iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak, so a big shout out to him here is proper. Thanks to him iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad users around the world can enjoy their devices with maximum freedom. Also shouting out to geohot for the limera1n exploit.
Now, the iPhone devteam integrated pod2g's iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak to redsn0w 0.9.10b1 and PwnageTool. Meanwhile, the Chronic devteam put it into a Cydia package. They're both the same, just comes from different methods.
So let's stop with the talk and let's teach you how to untethered jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak Compatible Devices*
iPhone 4 GSM
iPhone 4 CDMA
iPod touch 4G
iPod touch 3G
*Does not currently support iPhone 4S and iPad 2
(Related: SMART iPhone 4S Official Plans and Pricing in the Philippines)
Notes from iPhone devteam:
- If you have one of those devices and are not on 5.0.1 yet, update now! The SHSH window is still open for 5.0.1 If you unlock via ultrasn0w or gevey, make sure you only get to 5.0.1 via a custom IPSW! Once you’re at 5.0.1, use the latest redsn0w 0.9.10 to both jailbreak and untether.
- If you’re already at 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you have two choices: either run redsn0w 0.9.10 over your current jailbreak (deselect “Install Cydia” if you do that), or install the Cydia package prepared by the chronic devteam. The patches are the same regardless of which you choose.
- Some of you are using a hybrid 5.0/5.0.1 configuration. If so, do not attempt to install this untether over that setup! You will most likely get into a reboot cycle. Do a sync and fresh restore to 5.0.1 then install the jailbreak + untether.
How to Untethered Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 On iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 for Windows (Run as Administrator) or Mac OS X
iOS 5.0.1 .ipsw file for your device
Apple iTunes 10.5.2
1. Start up iTunes then connect your Apple device. Back up all the contents of your device and do a shift+left click on the Restore button on iTunes. When a window comes up, select the corresponding .ipsw file for your device. Let the restore run its course. It may take a couple of minutes After completion, turn OFF your device while making sure that it's still plugged in to your computer;
2. Run the respective Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 for your platform. Press Jailbreak. Make sure that your Apple device is OFF before you press the Next button;
3. You will now follow a series of timed prompts that will spell the success or failure of the untethered jailbreaking of your iOS 5.0.1 device. Don't worry if you get the timing wrong, your Apple device won't get destroyed;
4. After your phone gets identified, reboots, and gets kernel processed, another dialog box will ask you if you want to Install Cydia, Install Custom Bundle, Enable Multitask Gestures, and Deactivate. Select Install Cydia and click Next;
5. After the "uploading ramdisk" process is finished, your iOS 5.0.1 device will again reboot for 5 minutes or so. Once done, your device is now running on an untethered jailbreak of iOS 5.0.1, complete with Cydia and Springboard.
Congratulations! You now know how to untethered jailbreak your iOS 5.0.1 iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad. Let me warn you though, jailbreaking isn't a fail-proof process. If your device fails to get jailbroken, keep on doing the steps above until you succeed. Three times the charm.
As of this writing, Cydia is being overloaded with eager jailbreak updaters. So if it seems that you can't connect to a repo and all, there's your answer.
And lastly, iPhone 4S and iPad 2 users shouldn't fear. pod2g is still working hard for both devices' untethered jailbreaks as the current release only works for A4 devices. Just give the guy a month or two. He'll come up with something.
Again, thanks a bunch to pod2g for this iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak release and geohot for the exploit.
'Till my next installment.
Searches related to how to untethered jailbreak ios 5.0.1 on iphone ipod touch and ipad:
5.0.1 untethered jailbreak
jailbreak 5.0.1 untethered
download ios 5.0.1
jailbreak iphone 5.0.1
jailbreak ios 5
how to jailbreak ios 5.0.1 with redsn0w
jailbreak iphone 4s 5.0.1