If you have an older iPhone model at your disposal (particularly the 2G and the 3G models) and you feel it is so outdated, don't lose hope. You can breathe new life to your old iPhone by installing the custom iOS Whited00r on it.
Whited00r is in essence the iOS 5 that is ported by developers to run on older Apple devices such as pre-2010 iPhones and iPod touches. It brings about new features to your old Apple device such as multitasking, folders, home screen wallpapers, video recording, Newsstand, and a custom iCloud.
So the standing question is, how can you install Whited00r on your iPhone or iPod touch? Below is a detailed, step-by-step guide on how to install the Whited00r iOS.
iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 (left) with iPhone 2G on Whited00r 5.1 (right)
How to Install Whited00r iOS on iPhone 2G and 3G and iPod Touch 1G and 2G
iTunes 9 or higher
Compatible device (jailbroken or non-jailbroken) updated to iOS 3.1.2 or 3.1.3
Whited00r IPSW firmware for your device (choose respective firmware at the links below)
- iPhone 2G Normal 5.1
- iPhone 2G Unlocker 5.1
- iPhone 3G Normal 5.1
- iPhone 3G Unlocker 5.1
- iPod Touch 1G WD5.1
- iPod Touch 2G WD5.1
1. Download and extract iREB-r4 on your PC. iREB-r4 is a run-only program, it will not install, and it is safe. If your antivirus says otherwise, just put it in the exceptions list. Also download and extract the Whited00r IPSW firmware for your device;
2. Connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your PC and run iREB-r4. You will be presented with a dialog box full of options. Choose your respective device here;
3. A series of command prompts will appear on the iREB-r4 window. Follow the instructions and correctly time the presses. If you make a mistake, you'll have to repeat the sequence again;
4. After successfully completing the sequence, iREB-r4 will tell you that your iPhone or iPod touch is now in a DFU state;
5. Open iTunes. The program will detect your device and will mention that it's in a DFU state and that it needs restoration;
6. Move your mouse over to restore and press Shift+left click simultaneously on the Restore button. Browse for the Whited00r IPSW file you extracted earlier. Select it;
7. Your iPhone or iPod touch will now undergo the restoration process. It may take up to 15 minutes or more for the restoration to finish. You probably should use this time to make a sandwich or something;
8. After the installation is complete, do not unplug your device. Instead, wait for your iPhone or iPod touch to boot and reboot again (two boots);
9. After the two boots, iTunes will ask you if you want to restore from a backup or to set up from scratch. Select Set up a new iPhone/iPod to avoid strange problems and slowdowns;
10. After setting up your iPhone/iPod as new, hard reset your device by pressing the Home+Sleep/Wake buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. This is to ensure that the wallpapers will work;
11. Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Whited00r iOS on your iPhone/iPod touch!
- The normal .ipsw firmware are for devices that are on a legitimate line (ex. AT&T, Verizon) while the unlocker .ipsw firmware are for other devices that are not covered by the previous. So say you're running on Sun or any other network, you should select the unlocker .ipsw firmware.
- The Whited00r iOS comes pre-jailbroken and pre-installed with Cydia and Terminal so you don't even have to jailbreak anything. You're good to go.
- If you get some kind of error down the line while installing Whited00r in iTunes, run iREB-r4 and follow steps 2 to 10 again.
- If your device is not updated to iOS 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, just connect it to iTunes and click on Check for Updates. iTunes will automatically update your device for you.
If you have PayPal and have some money on it, donate a couple of bucks to the devs over at Whited00r. They're definitely worth it, and they need some dough rolling in.
Whited00r Facebook Fan Page
Whited00r iREB, RecBoot, and Other Tool Downloads
Hopefully you'll not encounter any problem with installing Whited00r. If you do, you can head over their official forum or you can ask me a question here.
Now that you know how to install the Whited00r iOS on your iPhone 2G, 3G, and iPod touch, why don't you share this post on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus?
'Till my next installment.
Searches related to how to install whited00r ios on iphone 2g, 3g, and ipod touch:
whited00r installation guide
how to install whited00r
whited00r installation instructions step-by-step
detailed whited00r installation guide
how to install whited00r ios iphone 2g
how to install whited00r ios 5
install whited00r without itunes
install whited00r 5.1