Now, the Mac OS' immunity from regular Windows malware is well-known to everyone. But with this recent attack, I'm not so sure about that anymore, especially that the Mac system is not as developed and as tested like Windows.
Apple meanwhile promised to release a software update regarding this. For the mean time, proceed to the section below for the official Apple step-by-step instructions on how to remove Mac Defender, Mac Protector, and Mac Security.
Products Affected by Mac Defender, Mac Protector, and Mac Security:
Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.6, Mac OS X 10.5
How to avoid installing Mac Defender, Mac Protector, Mac Security
If any notifications about viruses or security software appear, quit Safari or any other browser that you are using. If a normal attempt at quitting the browser doesn’t work, then Force Quit the browser.
In some cases, your browser may automatically download and launch the installer for this malicious software. If this happens, cancel the installation process; do not enter your administrator password. Delete the installer immediately using the steps below.
- Go into the Downloads folder or your preferred download location.
- Drag the installer to the Trash.
- Empty the Trash.
How to remove Mac Defender, Mac Protector, Mac Security
If the malware has been installed, we recommend the following actions:
- Do not provide your credit card information under any circumstances.
- Use the Removal Steps below.
- Move or close the Scan Window
- Go to the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and launch Activity Monitor
- Choose All Processes from the pop up menu in the upper right corner of the window
- Under the Process Name column, look for the name of the app and click to select it; common app names include: Mac Defender, Mac Security or Mac Protector
- Click the Quit Process button in the upper left corner of the window and select Quit
- Quit Activity Monitor application
- Open the Applications folder
- Locate the app ex. Mac Defender, Mac Security, Mac Protector or other name
- Drag to Trash, and empty Trash
- Open System Preferences, select Accounts, then Login Items
- Select the name of the app you removed in the steps above ex. Mac Defender, Mac Security, Mac Protector
- Click the minus button
Let me remind you again that the section above is an official release from the Apple website. I hope you now know how to remove the Mac Defender, Mac Protector, and Mac Security malwares on your own.
Now, if you still manage to find yourself in a difficult position regarding the malware removal, you should go HERE.
'Tilly my next installment.